William Henry Brown

Born: August 14, 1856
Died:

WILLIAM HENRY BROWN, retired railway conductor, was born near Mauston, Juneau County, Wisconsin, August 14, 1856, the son of Hanna and Edward Brown. When seven years old he moved with his parents to Ripon, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin. He attended the public schools of Ripon during the winter months. Leaving High School Mr. Brown worked on a farm and in the woods until he started his railroad career as a brakeman with the old Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad April 17, 1879. His first run was from Oshkosh to Norrie, then the end of the track. In 1882 he was promoted to the rank of railway conductor, serving with the M., L. S. & W. R. R. Co until it was purchased by the C. & N. W. R. R. Co. in 1893. He was with the latter company until 1918, when he retired from service after thirty-nine years. Mr. Brown married Meda Hickey, of New London, Wis., on November 22, 1890. Two children, Dr. William H., of Laona, Wis., and George, of Minneapolis, Minn., were born to this union.

W. H. Brown first came to Antigo in November, 1881, when the first passenger train pulled into the village. He was then a brakeman. Antigo then had a box car for a depot, and a strip of forest blocked the sight of Teipner's log stopping place. Fifth avenue was just a path through the woods, and there were but a few log cabins, including Niels Anderson's store, and F. A. Deleglise's place. Mr. Brown permanently located in Antigo in 1900. He was active in all Liberty Loan, Victory Fund, and other war drives, was a member of the Committee on the Welfare of the Soldiers and their Dependants, aided in the establishment of the Antigo Soldiers and Sailors Club Rooms, was a committeeman selected to meet the 107th T. M. B. at Camp Dix, N. J., and actively aided in other war activities. His two sons served, Dr. W. H. with an Ohio Medical unit, and George with the 107th Trench Mortar Battery. He is fraternally affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, B. P. O. E. and M. W. A. He was once Treasurer of Antigo Council No. 1002, K. of C. The Brown residence is at 1004 Superior street.

p.323 History of Langlade County Wisconsin Dessureau. Berner Bros. Publishing CO. 1922.

Source: