News & Events

Upcoming Events


Sunday February 19th: The museum will be serving refreshments at the Civic Music Concert.
Donations of baked goods are appreciated and should be brought to the concert at the high school.

Current Newsletter - Winter2017.pdf

Newsletter Highlights

Museum Remodeling
Preserving Francis Deleglise's Cabin
Sources for Tips on Restoring Historic Buildings - Sandborn Maps
How to Preserve Your Historic Building


Annual Meeting Speaker

White Lake Depot

At the annual meeting on November 17 about 50 attendees heard about the history of the White Lake community from White Lake Historical Society member Judy Peterson. It is White Lake’s centennial and there was a great interest in the history and the artifacts that Peterson brought to display. She traced the history of the area from the time of the Civil War and the Military Road and Lake Superior Trail, through the founding and abandonment of Van Alstine which was originally planned as a community of 5,000 but was not built. The forest products industry was an important force and the log drives and railroads were a vital part of the White Lake story. With the creation of the Yawkey-Bissell Mill in 1916 came the development of the company town of White Lake, named for the large deposits of marl in the lake. Yawkey-Bissell owned the boarding houses, homes, and stores that mill workers lived in and shopped at. The saw mill continued until 1946, when timber resources were depleted. The flooring mill continued, in spite of a major fire in 1950. The damage caused by the fire was not as severe as it might have been due to the good luck of having winds blow out over the lake. The flooring mill still operates today under ownership of Robbins Inc. The fascinating history of White Lake and the surrounding community is preserved by the White Lake Historical Society which operates the depot museum.


Remodeling Plans Take Shape

Elcho CCC 657

Having contracted with the Wausau based firm, Funktion Design Studio, to help us with museum remodeling Gary Whitman, head of the building and grounds committee, has set up a schedule with Funktion architects to meet with the museum board to define the details of the project and how we will go forward.

The Funktion team has met with the board to review the project’s scope and requirements as well as updates to building codes. An earlier Historic Structures Report, completed in 2003, is valuable but is now out of date in many aspects. The immediate goals include replacing current lighting fixtures and trying to restore a period appearance while including good lighting for museum displays. This involves some major modifications of the original building’s use as a library. It will require some planning to repurpose the building while maintaining its original character. The project will also review options for heating/cooling and replacement of ceiling tiles. Options for building and toilet handicap accessibility are also part of long term planning.

A timeline for initial planning stages has been established. Over the coming weeks the Funktion team, together with museum board members, will gather data, review the possibilities, prioritize needs, and evaluate costs. The board will decide which options would best suit our purposes and budget. We hope that by mid-March a finalized design will be complete and that we will be able to plan specifics, soliciting bids from contractors, and start fundraising to make the Carnegie Library


Conover: Architect of Antigo’s Library

Elcho Armory

Antigo’s Carnegie Library is on the National Register in part because it was designed by a prominent Wisconsin architect. Allan D. Conover was an important Madison architect and civil engineer in the late 19th and early 20th century. During his career, he served as professor of civil engineering at UW, topographer for the state geologist, city surveyor for Madison, and a principal in the highly successful architectural firm of Conover and Porter.

Conover was born in Madison in 1854 and graduated with honors from the UW in 1874. While a student he worked on the Wisconsin Central Railroad engineering crew and on the southwestern geological survey. He joined the UW faculty in 1875 and became professor of civil engineering in 1879, a position he held until 1890. In 1885 he also started an architectural practice with L.F. Porter. Together they designed many buildings on campus including a replacement for Science Hall, destroyed by fire in 1884, the Armory and several buildings around the state. After the Conover Porter partnership dissolved in 1899 he continued designing buildings around the state, including Antigo’s library in 1903. He lived in Madison until his death in 1927.


Langlade archives online

Langlade County Historical Society information online at http://recollectionwisconsin.org/map website.

CCC Camp 657 of Elcho Added to Archives

Elcho CCC 657The CCC was one of the most successful of the New Deal projects implemented by FDR. It provided work and training for many young men and financial support for their families.

Camp 657 was established, in June, 1933 at Summit Lake in Langlade County. More permanent barracks were erected at nearby Otter Lake, in Elcho. In November 1933 the recruits marched in from their tents at Summit Lake to their new barracks in Elcho.

Camp 657 primarily did reforestation in a region that had been clear cut by the logging industry. Enrollees planted almost 1,400 acres and also build fire roads, lookout towers, fire breaks, did stream and pond development with fish stocking, improved conditions for wild game and established 3 acres of public campgrounds. More than 75 years after the camp ceased its existence the benefits of their efforts are still enjoyed in Langlade County.

Photos, camp newsletters, and memorabilia of Camp 657 Elcho may now be viewed at www.recollectionwisconsin.org (in the search window, type “ccc camp 657 elcho”).


Medicine Man

 

A. J. Kingsbury Picture Postcards of Northern Wisconsin

Images of Ojibwe and Menominee Indians in northeast Wisconsin and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula in the early 20th century, photographed by Arthur J. Kingsbury of Antigo.
Click to View Collection


Deleglise LetterDeleglise Documents

Letters written to family members by Francis Deleglise, founder of the city of Antigo, during his service in the Civil War.
Click to View Collection


 

Steam EngineLanglade County Railroad Photographs

The railroad photographs in the collection of the Langlade County Historical Society depict depots, rail yards, rail crews, locomotives, and train wrecks in the Antigo area from the late 19th century to the 1990s. View collection.
Click to View Collection

Logging Wagon Langlade County Logging Photographs

The logging photographs in the collection of the Langlade County Historical Society document work crews, logging camps, sawmills and other aspects of Wisconsin’s logging industry from the 19th century to the 1990s.
Click to View Collection


soldier

Anitgo Soldiers in World War I

In World War I Langlade County men formed the 107th Trench Mortar Battery Company. They saw action in France and participated in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. William Wessa documented the 107 TMB with photos and a written history.
Click to View Collection


Reuben Sweet Diary

Rueben Sweet Diary

Rueben Sweet left Manitowoc in 1863 to fight in the Civil War. He participaed in Sherman's March to the Sea.
Click to View Collection

 


 

 

Publications: LANGLADE COUNTY
by Richard Prestor and Joseph Hermolin
NOW AVAILABLE AT THE MUSEUM GIFT SHOP

$21.99 - The newest book in the Arcadia Publishing's Images of America Series


Recent Donations:

Mike Donahue Jr: Nurse outfits, flag, newspaper clippings, railroad items, 1959 Little League All Star photo
Lorna Drehel: School books
Judy Grimm: William & Ida Priem family portrait
Rose Hoffman:: Bluebell School bell, in memory of Luella Fleischman
Rose Hoffman: 2 Kestner dolls belonging to Hilda & Ester Fehring
Donna Osness: Wicker potty chair
Karen Simon:: Early area post card


Donations in Memorium:

In memory of: Robert Umsted
In memory of: Ed Morrissey from Vanguard Charitable
for ceiling and lighting renovations


Membership Renewals:

Dede Cromer, Roger & Kay Doran. Gary & Hope Fleming, Diane Flohr, Judy Grimm, Sheila Hall, Shirley Harder, Mary Josvai, William Johnson, William & Charlotte Kraft, Jeff & Cheryl Marx, Vicki & Jerome Marx, Jacob Meister, Jean Marilyn Hunter Preiss, Jackie Reynolds, Sandy Robrecht, Walter Rugland, Sam & Carol Steffan, Richard Strasser, Bill & Helen Williams, Norma Winter, Joyce Zaverousky


From the Curator:

We would like to fill the gaps in our collection of Antigo High School yearbooks. Missing years include 1944, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1964. We would appreciate donations to fill these gaps.


Highlights

Wisconsin Council for Local History

Mary Kay Wolf - CuratorThe Wisconsin Council for Local History is a state wide organization of over 370 local history groups. The Langlade County Historical Society is part of the Northwoods Region. The Council helps local groups in several ways:

  1. Each year mini-grants are awarded to a number of groups. This year the Langlade County Historical Society received a grant for the purchase of archival boxes and pages for our photo collection. Curator Mary Kay Wolf is busy organizing and indexing our archives and in the near future they should be much more accessible to the public.

  2. The Council, together with the Wisconsin Historical Society, organizes a number of workshops and webinars on a wide range of topics. A recent conference was held in Madison and board president Joe Hermolin attended workshops in processing archival collections, web design, and digitization. Workshops are being planned for spring and the next annual conference is scheduled for Wisconsin Rapids from October 11-12, 2013. Details on future workshops, webinars, and conferences, as well as bibliography and notes from the recent conference may be viewed on the Wisconsin Historical Society’s web site: www.wisconsinhistory.org

  3. The Council manages a local history listserve where people may ask questions, seek advice, post events, and more. Join by sending an email to: localhistory@listserve.uwec.edu and type SUBSCRIBE in the body of the email.